Project "Board games involving emotional skills: promoting positive emotions and emotion regulation skills in adolescents"
Our current project attempts to provide psycho-educational tools based on board games in order to support the socio-emotional development of adolescents. Our objective is to develop and implement play-based interactive tools with the aid of board games aimed at promoting positive emotions and emotion regulation skills. In addition, we want to investigate the value of new board games designed by our team as a tool for measuring emotional competences.
Study 1: Socio-emotional competences and academic performance in adolescents: comparative evaluation of mindfulness meditation, improvisational theater and board game interventions at school
In response to the Swiss educational initiatives regarding the strengthening of socio-emotional competences in adolescents within the school context, a first study will get underway in 2020 in collaboration with Professor David Sander from the University of Geneva (also lecturer at the Swiss Distance University Institute). This study will be carried out at the Centre for Pre-Professional Transition in Geneva with the support of the Director Pascal Edwards. The aim is to compare and validate three interventions (mindfulness meditation, improvisational theatre and board games focused on emotional competences) and to test their efficacy in regard to the intra-personal skills (e.g. emotion regulation , stress management) and interpersonal skills (e.g. empathy, conflict management) of adolescents. We will also look at the effects on general functioning (e.g. absenteeism, academic performance).
Study 2: Board games and emotional competences in pre-adolescents (10-12 years)
The aim of this study is to explore the potential of the new board games as tools for measuring emotional competences: emotion recognition, emotion differentiation and emotion regulation. This second study will take place in schools in the canton of Valais and will include the Master’s dissertation project of Gaelle Reset.
If you would like to find out more, please do not hesitate to contact us: alexandra.zaharia@ or 022 379 09 25. unidistance.ch
Duration of the study
01.09.2018 – 31.12.2022
- Alexandra Zaharia - Teaching and Research Assistant in the Faculty of Psychology, Swiss Distance University Institute, Doctoral Student in Special Education at the Institute of Special Education at the University of Fribourg and member of the Swiss Emotion Experience, Regulation and Support Lab (chEERS Lab).
- Prof. Andrea Samson - Associate Professor in the Faculty of Psychology, Swiss Distance University Institute, SNF-funded Professor at the Institute of Special Education at the University of Fribourg and director of the chEERS Lab.
- Prof. David Sander - Full Professor in the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences at the University of Geneva, and Director of the Swiss Center for Affective Sciences at the University of Geneva
- Dr. Nathalie Mela, Research Associate at the Swiss Center for Affective Sciences at the University of Geneva
- Dr. Gwladys Rey, Research Associate at the Swiss Center for Affective Sciences at the University of Geneva