Project "Journal of a Witness"
Camille Gorgé, Swiss diplomat in wartime Japan (1940-1945)
A critical edition supplemented by the memoirs of the diplomat Camille Gorgé
Forty years after the death of Camille Gorgé, we have chosen to publish this document, which is of great historical interest to a wide readership sensitive to the new issues of the “World War” from 1937 to 1947.
With this in mind, we have opted for an approach in three parts. Firstly, a full reproduction and electronic facsimile of the document “Journal of a Witness” in the DODIS database of Swiss diplomatic documents. We then prepared a critical edition volume of the memoirs, organised into five thematic segments. This latter option offers new opportunities as an edition enhanced by the memoirs of Gorgé, referring back, via a series of hyperlinks, to documents and biographical and geographical data available in the database of Swiss diplomatic documents. In this way, we hope to offer to a wide audience the option of accessing online and browsing easily without restrictions through the annotated pages of this “Journal of a Witness”, which is useful in understanding the relationship between Japan and Switzerland during this tragic period of 20th century history.
As a third step, we work on an integral annotated edition of the journal in Japanese.
01/12/2017 - 31/08/2018
01/01/2019 - 31/12/2022 (third step)
- Pierre-Yves Donzé, co-author, University of Osaka (Japan)
- Claude Hauser, co-author, Swiss Distance University Institute
- Pascal Lottaz, co-author, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, Tokyo (Japan)
- Andy Maître, co-author, Swiss Distance University Institute and HEP Vaud
- Sacha Zala, editor, Swiss Diplomatic Documents and Swiss Distance University Institute
- Swiss Distance University Institute
- Sakaé-Stunzi Foundation of the Embassy of Switzerland in Japan